Job Title: Communications Intern, Part Time (Paid)
Reports To: Senior Communications Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Term: Summer semester
Summary: Working closely with the national external affairs and communications team this internship will support the Network’s internal and external communications strategies and tactics, among other responsibilities. Success in this role will require an individual that is highly creative, self-motivating, collaborative, and a team player willing to help where he or she is needed. The right candidate will excel in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment as well as work from a remote setting. The right candidate will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to shape the primary responsibilities of this role on the job and will significantly contribute to the further advancement of the organization’s educational goals at large by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities: The following are essential functions of the position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist in creating social media content.
- Collect links to relevant news articles and share with Land & Liberty Coalition (L&LC) and CEN staff for posting to social media.
- Design one-pagers, infographics, business cards, event announcements, and other collateral as needed by state teams, L&LC, and CEN.
- Update websites affiliated with the organization as needed.
- Assist Senior Communications Manager and New Media Strategist in day-to-day functions, including data management.
- Participate in internal and external conference calls and webinars to observe and better understand the organization’s work.
- Assist with special events and projects.
- Perform various other tasks as directed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to write effectively. Ability to make effective presentations to internal staff.
Ability to effectively solve complex problems in a variety of situations and by deadline. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity of SEO, Constant Contact, MailChimp, and other marketing tools and tactics preferred. Familiarity with WordPress and Squarespace also preferred. Working knowledge of Adobe Suite—which includes InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop—Canva, and/or other similar design applications highly preferred.
Currently enrolled in or recently completed a bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university in communications, graphic design, digital media, or another relevant field.
- Experience creating social media content and maintaining a posting schedule for a business or non-profit account a plus
- Prior internship experience working for, or interested in gaining experience working with, issue advocacy nonprofits, public affairs firms, political campaigns, or government is preferred
- Experience working with energy issues (including coursework) a plus, but not required
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Top notch writing and editing skills, and experience distilling complicated issues into communications assets to advance organizational messaging and increase engagement among different target audiences
- Graphic design and video production skills for social media, web, Microsoft PowerPoint, and print materials is preferred
- Understanding of audience segmentation and database management a plus
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with the ability to manage and meet challenging deadlines and balance multiple programming priorities at once
- A collaborative nature and adept problem-solving skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit, interest in learning new skills, and eagerness to implement innovative and impactful storytelling tools that advance the collective goals of CEN and its members and actively move grassroots/grasstops supporters up the ladder of engagement
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 5-to-20-pound boxes for events, as needed.
- Fast-paced, dynamic work environment sometimes faced with high-pressure deadlines
- A supportive and collegial team that encourages creativity and initiative, and a mentorship
- Plenty of opportunities to grow and expand your skillset
- While CEN headquarters is based in Lansing, Michigan, members of the team work remotely from various parts of the country. CEN welcomes applicants regardless of location and may accommodate tele-commuting.
- Role may require ability to work some evenings and/or weekends for special events
- Role may include the opportunity to travel, including overnight travel, for conferences and events